By entering the Pocketry Unpublished Poet’s Prize, you agree to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions.
1. Entries for the 2021 Pocketry Prize for Unpublished Poets Prize close midnight AEDT, Tuesday 30th November 2021.
2. The winner will receive:
(a) publication of their poem(s) in an instant book (the “Book”)
(b) 3 hours of online mentoring from a prominent Australian poet
3. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash or other prizes.
4. 150 copies of the book will be printed in a limited edition print run.
5. The winner will receive 100 copies to distribute and Pocketry will retain 50 copies.
6. A copy of the book will be lodged by Pocketry with the National Library of Australia
Who can enter?
7. Australian residents aged 18 and over who have not previously had a book or chapbook of poetry published (either self-published or by another publisher).
How to enter
8. Entry is online only.
9. Multiple entries are not permitted.
10. Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com with Pocketry Prize for Unpublished Poets in the subject.
11. Attach your poem(s) as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx). Do not put your name anywhere on the document.
12. Entrants will receive confirmation of receipt.
13. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
14. By supplying your contact details you agree to Pocketry sending you opt-out correspondence.
What does it cost to enter?
15. Entry is free.
16. Entries must be a single poem or collection of up to five poems of no more than 105 lines in total (including line breaks), written in English.
17. If you are submitting five individual poems, each poem should not be more than 21 lines long.
18. Lines should be a maximum of 50 characters wide (including spaces).
19. Entires that exceed the line limits will not be considered.
20. Font: Times New Roman, 1.5 line spacing, 12 pt, black.
21. Stanza breaks must be clearly indicated.
22. Put the name of your collection/poem in the footer of your document and number all the pages.
23. Do not put your name on the document or in the name of the digital file.
24. Your poem must not include your name or any identifying marks. This means any word that the judges can link directly to you. Names of places and/or first names of people are, generally, acceptable. Be sure there are no words that identify you as the author.
25. The file name should only include the title of your collection / poem.
26. Entries must be original works written by an individual author.
27. Entries will be deemed ineligible if they are under contract to another publisher or broadcaster.
28. Previously published in print or prize-winning poems will not be accepted.
29. Poems that have been previously broadcasted or posted on social media / personal blogs will be accepted.
30. You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
31. Entries must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
32. Entries that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
33. Entries must contain nothing obscene, libellous, unlawful, defamatory, or anything Pocketry may deem to be inappropriate.
34. Translations are not eligible.
35. Prize winners may be required to participate in events and media activities associated with the competition.
36. Copyright in the poem(s) remains with the poet.
The judging process
37. The winner will be announced on Facebook and Instagram.
38. The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process.
39. Pocketry reserves the right not to award a prize.
40. Pocketry reserves the right to cancel the competition if circumstances arise outside of its control.
41. By entering the Pocketry Unpublished Poet’s Prize, the author gives permission to Pocketry to publish their work if it is selected.
42. As publisher of the poem(s), Pocketry will have First Publication Rights to all submitted works and may use any title or excerpt from any entry for the purpose of promoting the Pocketry Unpublished Poet’s Prize.
43. Any collection or publication subsequent to the Pocketry Unpublished Poet’s Prize that includes the author’s poem should acknowledge this competition.
44. Pocketry acknowledges that this competition is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook or Instagram.