Poetry is a beautiful form of writing with many different styles to choose from. You can choose one of the traditional styles or go your own way with free verse. Reasons for writing poetry vary. For many people it is a way of expressing and processing their thoughts and emotions on the page. Some brave souls choose to share their experiences with a wider audience.
For those souls wanting their poetry to reach a wider audience, here are a few tips for getting your words out there and improving your writing.
1. Write as often as you can. It may sound like a no-brainer but if you're not writing regularly, you can't improve. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get. Some folks write every day, others every week. Figure out what works best for you and go for it.
2. Read, read, read. Read lots of poetry. Devour words. Become a fan. Discover what you like. Figure out what you'd like to achieve.
3. There are so many workshops out there with amazing poets. Go and do one.
4. Once you've done your workshop, join a writer's group. Having other poets comment on your work is a wonderful thing. If there isn't one near you, start one with the other people in your writing class.
5. Attend poetry open mics. It's a wonderfully supportive and welcoming scene.
6. If you want people to buy and read your work you must return the favour and read and buy other poets' work.